Sunday, May 26, 2013

Living With Sin

LIVING WITH SIN

How do You expect me to live with my sin?

That was my complaint against God one day, when I was convicted of sins that are so deep in my heart that I knew I could not simply get rid of by summoning them away.

I finally came face to face with the fact that as long as I'm alive, I have sin, real sin.

I despaired. I felt helpless. I have to face such ugliness and atrocity in me, every day of my life. And they're real sins. They really are sins against an infinitely glorious, good, loving, and wrathful God. And I will sin against Him until I die.

How do You expect me to live with my sin?

The answer I received in my heart brought a surge of peace and determination.

Put it to death everyday.

Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
(Colossians 3:5)

I came to a new perspective. Every time I am convicted of sin, it no longer becomes a time of despair, but an opportunity to deal with it, and be even more cleansed.

What's even more uplifting is that I recognize the impossibility of such a task. It is impossible for me myself to kill sin, because I am not the source of holiness. Only by the Holy Spirit, can I be sanctified. And the Holy Spirit works out salvation in men by the Word of God.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
(Romans 12:2)


And it is with this that I see even more of God's amazing grace. In all I do, I sin, even in my good works, my prayers, my service in the church. And the only reason God accepts us and our service is simply because we are in Christ, and our "sacrifices" are made clean.

I have nothing to boast of myself, but only have the right to boast of Christ.

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
(Galatians 6:14) 

Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment