Saturday, March 1, 2014

Crisis Klang; Punishment and Comfort

GRACE IN CRISIS KLANG

I'd first like to clarify that if there's anyone reading this who wasn't invited to the gathering, don't be disappointed, it's not because anybody has anything against you. Those who were invited were elected specially according to the tense conditions that we find in this period of time.

Before the night of our gathering arrived, I expected to have a lot to say about it afterwards. But now I don't really have much to say. Just some sort of wordless, quiet joy, knowing the hope that we have.

So I wouldn't write much about it in this post. I don't feel like describing in detail the profound atmosphere I felt then. I'm simply inclined to do what God leads me to, and watch Him work His wonders. That, I think, is the most effective way I can share my joy.

Here are the sixteen points that Pastor Samuel Ling shared with us that night (entirely his own transcript, I only added the numbers):



GRACE IN CRISIS: A MESSAGE FOR DIFFICULT TIMES

February 27, 2014


1) Believe in God’s providence: God has ordained these moments in your life for you to learn important things.  If you can cross this threshold (perhaps the first time you experience something like this: a crisis moment in the church), God will lead you to the next phase in life for more growth and ministry.  Believe this!  When you learn these lessons well, God will lead you to more lessons and more ministry in the next phases in your life. 

2) Believe always: God is always on the throne!  He is still on the throne, even if you don’t understand what is happening around you, and why things are happening this way.

3) There is a cost for following Christ, and that is suffering.  Being misunderstood, attacked, accused unjustly – that comes with a life of discipleship. 

4) Keep your pure heart which you had from the beginning: love for Christ, love for God’s Word, love for the Church.

5) It is not enough to have knowledge (about the facts, about doctrine).  It is not enough to be in the RIGHT (on the right side of a controversy).  We must do the RIGHT thing.  We must do the BEST (see below), be blameless.

6) Repent often.

7) Watch that you don’t sin with your tongue (or mouse, or pen).

8) Watch out for fleshly behaviour and response: hasty decisions and words; unrighteous anger; sorrow to the point of depression/despair.  Trust God.

9) Respect the offices God appointed for ruling over the church: the minister and the elders (session).  Their office carries with it (a) authority and (b) responsibility.  And their responsibility is THEIR responsibility, not yours.

10) Respect your parents’ authority, especially if you are not yet an adult and you are under their
authority (however defined: not yet form 6? Not yet age 18? Not yet with your own car? Etc.).

11) Often there is no need to defend those whom you love/like.  When a third party comes to talk to you about those whom you love, ask if they have brought the matter up with (a) the person concerned, and (b) the minister/elders of the church.

12) When you see the need to defend yourself, it is best to bring the matter up with the minister and the elders (session).    If you have done this directly, you can refer people who “attack” you directly – you can ask them to talk with the minister/elders.  It is wise to contact the minister/elder with a letter, as well as talking in person, to leave a record of what you said.
 
13) Sometimes, we should have a shepherd’s heart toward the shepherds.  Begin by praying for them.  They have spiritual needs, as Christians.

14) When we repent often and keep being transparent before God, we can be bold and transparent before others.  Sometimes, God calls us to speak words with boldness.  Sometimes God calls us to make decisions from conscience.  And although we obey human authority appointed by God (and we should bend over backwards to make sure we have taken every step to do so), there come moments when we must obey God and God’s Word as a higher authority.  When we make such decisions of conscience, check your heart for: fleshly response; hasty decision; no sin with the tongue; pure heart for Christ, Word and Church; respectful attitude.  Communicate your decision with those appointed to lead the church, directly: the minister and the elders (session).  As to whether to communicate your decision and reasons to other Christians, ask the Holy Spirit for the right timing, and the right people to share with.

15) Remember Jesus’ example: (A) He loved Jerusalem so deeply, he wept for her.  But this weeping was not sentimental, because: (B) He was bold enough to exercise discipline: he chased the money changers out of the temple.  But this was not a bout of uncontrolled anger, because: (C) He continued to carry out his responsibility even on those 4 days before the Cross: he taught the people in the temple every day.  (D) All of this was undergirded with prayer.  And his prayer was integrated with his tearful love, with his bold discipline, and his faithful, responsible service. 

16) Always practice joy.  Rejoice in the Lord.  Be content always for his “cup” for you.


Revised February 28, 2014


* * * * *

PUNISHMENT AND COMFORT

This is just a small thought I had today. I was watching my infant cousin and her dad, and my mind wandered in the topic of disciplining children. Then I suddenly remembered.

When I was younger, when I was punished (either physically or verbally), what I hated even more than the punishment itself was my mother coming to me a while later to comfort me. I felt angry, I thought that she was, in a way, trying to manipulate me. She wanted me to take my punishment, and still love her when she came to comfort me.

I felt it was unnecessary; I thought it would make no difference if she left me alone until the moment passed, except that if she comforted me, I must swallow my pride and respond positively. To me, that was a standard too high, and it scarred my incredibly inflated ego. I didn't want to receive kindness after punishment, because it made me feel deeply that I was at the mercy of my mother, and that I am obliged to agree with that punishment. That was condescending to me, like I'm so terrible that I need to be wooed lest I will hate my punisher.

I realized instantly that this type of attitude finds its roots in my rebellion against God. This sinful inclination also causes me to "wait it out" when I realize I've just sinned greatly. It feels too cheap to come immediately to God in your mess.

Sure, there is a side to faith that means we stand afar, afraid to offend the holiness of God. But there is also a side to sin that keeps us from drawing near appropriately, from trusting and pleading. It is driven by pride and distrust, and its method is dishonesty. You put on a facade and perform a show before God.

I know I've written about something like this before, but I'm once again reminded.

An important question now is, "How willing are you to submit to God's ways?" The key is submission to God's lordship, even willing submission. And that means receiving grace when God commands you to, not using the excuse of "I'm too unworthy of grace" as a cover-up for the pride that refuses to fall on its face before the Lord.

Sinful men despise not only God's curses, but His blessings also. A great folly, this is.

To love, obey, and trust God with a wholehearted, willing heart is indeed a lifetime lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment