Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Those Old, Old Men

THOSE OLD, OLD MEN

Truly, one who is able to control his tongue is a mature one. Oh, I keep talking and writing, on and on. (Aren't I supposed to be the quiet type?)

There seems to be a great pressure to reach certain standards in many things I do, especially in the pursuit of holiness and service, but there is also a tendency to try to skip the vital steps to get there.

Oh, if I speak now, what impurity would come forth from my lips. I've noticed that those fiery preachers who are full of wisdom are all old. This is a simple observation, but the implications are huge. What do I expect to be doing or saying at seventeen years of age? These guys took years and years, not in practicing some "speaking skills" nor merely gaining experience, but swimming in the vast oceans of God's Word and prayer. Years.

Only then can their minds be so conformed by repentance to the will and heart of God that their words pierce the consciences of men as God's Word does.

Dr. Sam once told me to expect 20 years of preparation, merely to consider being a preacher of God. He was smiling, but apparently not joking.

Long way to go, boy. Humble yourself and shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment