Monday, July 22, 2013

Seek First; Eternally Committed

A CALL TO FIRMNESS

So much has been going on.

Why am I shaken? Why am I startled by criticism?

I must take this leap of faith and seek His pleasure above the rest. Then the waves shall be like still water in my sight.

Prioritize! Fight the good fight of faith, and bring ruin to the god of Comfort.

To do right in His eyes is enough. Soli deo gloria.

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
(Matthew 6:33)


* * * * *

FOR HIS STEADFAST LOVE ENDURES FOREVER

By God's grace, I'm shaking off the bonds of legalism.

What kind of relationship do I have with the Lord of lords? Well, that He is immutably committed to saving me!

It's one thing to say it and another to believe in it. And, seeing it as a reality, it's the greatest driving force I can have. Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling.

No words that I, a sinner, could say to a holy God, nor any inclination to please Him, unless He first says:

And you shall be my people,
    and I will be your God.”
(Jeremiah 30:22)


Now I think I know why in the 1 Corinthians 13 description of love, it is first characterized as patient. Because while the lies of the world are sweet and mushy and agreeable, God's love is shown in its uncompromising persistence. We feel repulsed by His high, holy character at first, because it denies so much of us; but as the pretty, temporal things of the world fade away, He remains, and you realize He was always there.

Because of His eternal commitment, He patiently persists.


Love never ends.
(1 Corinthians 13:8a)

No comments:

Post a Comment